The widest muscles of the back are the largest muscles of the upper body, that is, the body. They perform many functions, one of which is the maintenance of the spine. In addition, there are lumbar muscles, which are even more responsible for maintaining the body frame and the load during walking and sitting. It is possible to enumerate the vital functions of these muscle groups for a very long time (especially if we consider the lower back), but the fact that it is important to train and strengthen them will not cause doubt.
In men, by the way, well-developed latissimus muscles look very aesthetically pleasing, as well as strong, huge arms.
What are some ways to pump your back in the gym? What are the basic exercises for the back in the gym? What basic back exercises in the gym will be most useful and effective in the process of strengthening the spine? Are there any features of strengthening the muscle groups of the spine for men? Below we will try to sort out all the above questions as much as possible, as well as to highlight some other nuances.
About the need to strengthen our back
Why is it important to have strong and strong back muscles? Why is the development of these muscles a priority? The fact is that the back muscles and the spine have a large load in the process of movement and in the performance of many physical exercises. And the widest vertebral muscles, among other things, are involved in the process of hand movement. Therefore, it is very important to address in a timely manner the issue of strengthening these muscle groups, especially when training in the gym, where the athlete does exercises with a special weighting in the form of a barbell or dumbbell.
Strengthening these muscle groups will prevent many injuries of the musculoskeletal system and will allow you to perform many physical exercises more successfully. In the “rocking chair” you need to train not only your hands.
Exercise for the back muscles is an important part of the training program in the gym. In order to make a beautiful and muscular body with the help of bodybuilding, it is not enough to press the barbell and bends for biceps. Basic back exercises in the gym will make it wider and thicker – this is the goal of every beginner.
How to build a back with basic back exercises
And so in order to pump up the back muscles, you need to perform all the same heavy basic exercises for the back (deadlift, pull-ups with weights and draft in the slope). These exercises are very effective for gaining total weight and strength of the back. When working on mass, do exercises on the back for 10 to 12 repetitions. Insulating exercises (upper block traction, lower block traction, t-traction on the simulator) should be included in the program after a sufficient set of total back muscle mass. Back exercises can be combined in one day with deltas, chest or arms, the most optimal option with deltas.
Be sure to focus on the work of the back when performing traction movements, pull with your back and not with your hands – this is very important!
Anatomy of the back muscles (large back muscles):
- Trapezius muscle (shrugs, deadlift, tilt draft)
- The latissimus dorsi (pull-ups, torsion bar pull)
- Back straighteners (deadlift, hyperextension)
- The rest of the back muscles, one way or another, takes part in all basic movements.
Types of exercises
The back, like the arms, can be trained with the help of various projectiles. In the role of these shells can act as a horizontal bar, barbell, weights, dumbbells. There are many exercises that work out this particular array of muscles. Some of these basic exercises are presented below. They can be a single complex. But in any case, your training complex should include them. The best and most popular variations are the classic pull-ups, the good old deadlift, the classic dumbbell pull to the belt, everyone’s favorite pull rod to the belt.
- Pull ups. This is the most accessible and simple exercise for the development of the widest muscles of the back. Performed on the crossbar or horizontal bar. Pull-ups are practiced in many sports and in power structures in the process of general physical training. We recommend performing 5-6 sets of 12-15 repetitions each. In addition, to master this exercise, you will need strong hands and a steel grip.
- Deadlift. This is the most important of the basic exercises in the gym with a free weight for the development of back muscles. Deadlift is a complex multi-joint exercise. It is actively involved the latissimus muscles, lower back, biceps of the thigh, forearm. Practiced mainly in power sports such as powerlifting, bodybuilding, weightlifting, crossfit. We recommend performing 5-6 sets of 12-15 repetitions each. In addition, to master this exercise, you will need strong hands and a steel grip.
- Thrust dumbbells to the belt. The most popular exercise for the broadest muscles with a dumbbell. Remarkable simplicity of execution and the ability to work out individual beams. To perform a dumbbell to the belt, you only need a horizontal bench and the dumbbell itself. We advise you to perform 4-5 sets of 10-12 repetitions each.
- You can pump the broadest muscles of the back and weights. To do this, pull the weight to the belt as you pull the dumbbell to the belt. However, due to the construction of the weight, this exercise is much less convenient to perform than the usual dumbbell pull to the belt. But it is suitable for those who have from improvised means had nothing but weights. We advise you to perform 4-5 sets of 10-12 repetitions each. In addition, to master this exercise, you will need strong hands and a steel grip.
- Thrust rod to the belt. Analogue dumbbells to the belt. One of the most popular exercises for the widest muscles with a barbell. Remarkable simplicity of execution and the ability to work out individual beams. To perform the rod to the belt you need only a horizontal bench and, in fact, the rod itself. We recommend performing 5-6 sets of 12-15 repetitions each.
- Thrust vertical / horizontal block. Block simulators are very common in fitness clubs. This is explained by the simplicity of their use, the minimal risk of injury, as in the simulator the movement is initially strictly defined along a certain trajectory. In addition, in the simulator it is possible to work out this or that muscle group in isolation. We advise you to carry out 4-5 sets of 10-12 repetitions each, and to do the superset thrust vertical and horizontal blocks.
Warm up carefully, warm up before exercise. This will improve the performance of the muscles and will avoid many injuries. You can knead as the whole body as a whole, and the muscles separately.
Let’s sum up the above. The widest muscles of the back are the largest muscles of the upper body, that is, the body. They perform many functions, one of which is the maintenance of the spine. Why is it important to have strong and strong back muscles? The fact is that the back muscles and the spine have a large load during movement and many physical exercises. The back can be trained with the help of various projectiles. In the role of these shells can be:
- horizontal bar;
There are many exercises for this group of muscles.
The most popular are the classic pull-ups, the good old deadlift, the classic dumbbell pull to the belt, everyone’s favorite pull rod to the belt.
- Pulling up is the most accessible and simplest exercise for developing the widest back muscles.
- The deadlift is a complex multi-joint exercise, it uses the broadest muscles, the loins, the biceps of the thigh and forearm.
- Dumbbell to the belt – the most popular exercise for the widest muscles with a dumbbell.
- Traction barbell to the belt – is an analogue of the dumbbell to the belt, one of the most popular exercises for the widest muscles with a barbell.
They can be a single complex. But in any case, your complex training should include them.
Finally, we wish our readers sports success, health and longevity. How to start the development and improvement of society? Start with yourself! Approach any training wisely, correctly dose the load, listen to your body, and then any obstacles and difficulties will be on your shoulders! Take the habit of leading a healthy lifestyle, teach it to your child from a young age! Sport is a great joy, a great way to organize family leisure. Yes, the sport of high achievements is unthinkable without injury, but we are talking mostly about ordinary athletes. And with them everything is much simpler, the main thing is not to overdo it with the dosing of loads.